Friday, September 28, 2012

Gear Review: BRD G18 Knee Brace


I typically refer to my left knee as Snap-Crackle and Pop and for a few years I have been using a McDavid hinged knee brace that I purchased at Walgreens.  While it has done a seemingly good job, it's a bit clunky with large side hinges and larger metal inserts that provide laterial and medial patella support.  It's also fairly hefty at 11 1/4 ounces.

With that said, the McDavid is the first knee brace I've used and I didn't really have anything to compare it against.

As luck would have it, I recently had the opportunity to test drive the BRD G18 Knee Brace.  Please note that this knee brace was sent to me free of charge.  You can read CFBs product review disclaimer here.

The first thing I noticed out of the box was how light it was, weighing just 5 3/8 ounces according to my scale.  The second thing noticed was that it looks and feels more like a compression garment than a knee brace.  That was something that took some getting used to in terms of getting it on/off.  What also took some getting used to was the amount of compression when wearing the brace (something that I've learned to appreciate after several runs).

According to BRDs literature the G18 knee brace is specifically recommended for:
  • Irritations
  • Feeling of instabilities
  • Tendonitis, osteroarthritis
  • Post operative and trauma
The brace itself is latex free and I found it to be very breathable.  Features of this particular brace include:
  •  3-dimensional knit offers anatomically contoured fit.  This design minimizes bulk and bunching behind the knee and I found it to be fairly comfortable over the course of my runs.
  • Viscoelastic insert redistributes pressure away from the patella to surrounding soft tissues.
  • Knee activity moves silicone resulting in massage to soft tissue.
  • Stainless steel spiral stays offer medial and lateral support.
The photo I've provide shows an inside out view of the brace so that you can clearly see the metal flexible stays that run the length of the brace, and the doughnut shaped silicone insert.

With 3 uses under my belt, I'm pretty pleased with this knee brace.  It provides good support, stays in place during runs, is breathable and lightweight.

If you have ongoing joint pain, it's always best not to self-diagnose.  Speak to a doctor to determine what type of knee support they would suggest for your specific condition.

If like me, you're simply looking for something to help stabilize the patella when running, I do feel the BRD G18 Knee Brace is worth a closer look.

BRD also offers an adjustable knee brace as well as ankle and elbow braces.

Always interested in feedback from Catapult Fitness Blog Readers on what gear preferences they may have!  Feel free to post here or send an email to AskTheTrainer@CatapultFitnessBlog.com letting me know what product categories you would like to see reviewed!

Susan

Bookmark and Share

comments

8 Responses to "Gear Review: BRD G18 Knee Brace"
  1. Anonymous said...
    September 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

    I am a recent adoptor of minimalist running and have been reading your various postings on minimalist running shoes.

    I have started to develop alot of pain around my right ankle. Do you think an ankle brace would be beneficial while using minimalist running shoes?

  2. Anonymous said...
    September 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

    I use the McDavid knee brace also. Even though it's adjustable it always feels like it slips when I'm running.

    May try this G18. Seems a little pricey but I think you get what you pay for.

    Angela

  3. Susan said...
    September 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

    Angela, I agree in regards to getting what you pay for!

    Anonymous, I really cannot answer that question. If you're fairly new to minimalist running (or barefoot running), it can take time for certain muscles to become conditioned, but I'd definitely suggest getting it checked out to discount tendenosis or Achilles tendonitis.

  4. doug said...
    September 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM

    Thanks for the review Susan. Since I handle the PR for BRD Sport I wanted to respond to one of your reader comments -- "non-slippage" is one of our product's primary assets. We hear many stories of runners completing full marathons without any slippage. -- Doug

  5. Susan said...
    September 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

    Thanks for re-iterating that Doug!
    I've been extremely pleased with how well the G18 stays in place during my runs (and very appreciative of the lack of bunching behind the knee).

  6. SEO INDIA said...
    November 5, 2012 at 3:53 AM

    Thanks! for giving information about Knee support.Your blog is very appreciable.Here one can buy various kind of braces like open patella, knee wrap, elastic knee , and Healthgenie is happy to serve the people suffering from knee pain and if you want to ask anything about ortho supports products be free to ask us

  7. Mobility Aids said...
    April 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM

    Generally prescribe by orthopedic surgeons or sports physicians for athletes with ligament damage that has been repaired to increase stability and to protect the ligament.

  8. tmtmedsource said...
    February 14, 2014 at 7:21 AM

    It’s really an amazing blog about Wrist elbow splints product. I really like all the features of this product. Thanks for sharing with us great blog.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates