With that said, the McDavid is the first knee brace I've used and I didn't really have anything to compare it against.
As luck would have it, I recently had the opportunity to test drive the BRD G18 Knee Brace. Please note that this knee brace was sent to me free of charge. You can read CFBs product review disclaimer here.
The first thing I noticed out of the box was how light it was, weighing just 5 3/8 ounces according to my scale. The second thing noticed was that it looks and feels more like a compression garment than a knee brace. That was something that took some getting used to in terms of getting it on/off. What also took some getting used to was the amount of compression when wearing the brace (something that I've learned to appreciate after several runs).
According to BRDs literature the G18 knee brace is specifically recommended for:
- Feeling of instabilities
- Tendonitis, osteroarthritis
- Post operative and trauma
- 3-dimensional knit offers anatomically contoured fit. This design minimizes bulk and bunching behind the knee and I found it to be fairly comfortable over the course of my runs.
- Viscoelastic insert redistributes pressure away from the patella to surrounding soft tissues.
- Knee activity moves silicone resulting in massage to soft tissue.
- Stainless steel spiral stays offer medial and lateral support.
With 3 uses under my belt, I'm pretty pleased with this knee brace. It provides good support, stays in place during runs, is breathable and lightweight.
If you have ongoing joint pain, it's always best not to self-diagnose. Speak to a doctor to determine what type of knee support they would suggest for your specific condition.
If like me, you're simply looking for something to help stabilize the patella when running, I do feel the BRD G18 Knee Brace is worth a closer look.
BRD also offers an adjustable knee brace as well as ankle and elbow braces.
Always interested in feedback from Catapult Fitness Blog Readers on what gear preferences they may have! Feel free to post here or send an email to AskTheTrainer@CatapultFitnessBlog.com letting me know what product categories you would like to see reviewed!